We are doing our best to keep people informed of federal immigration policy changes. The office of Catholic Migration Services (CMS), a subsidiary of Catholic Charities Brooklyn/Queens, has prepared helpful information for knowing your immigration options. This information is being provided in order to help explain new executive orders and activities by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
NEW In April 2018 the federal district court of the District of Columbia ruled that until the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can better explain its reasoning for canceling the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, DACA will continue and DHS will be forced to accept new applications.
For additional information on immigration legal assistance, call the CMS office at 718-236-3000, or the Queens office at 347-472-3500, or visit their website: www.catholicmigration.org. CMS also offers training programs and naturalization workshops periodically in various churches and community centers in Brooklyn and Queens.
PAST CMS UPDATES (most pdf files):
- Immigration Update on Public Charge and Family-Based Petitions (March 2018)
- Changes to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) (January 2018)
- Advocate on Behalf of TPS (Temporary Protected Status) Recipients from Honduras, Nicaragua, or Haiti (December 2017)
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals: What the DACA Recission Means (September 2017).
- CMS Immigration Update (March 2017)
- “7 Step Plan” for immigrant parents who have children in the United States (in English, in Spanish, in Bilingual Chinese-English)
- What to Do in Light of ICE’s Recent Arrests
- Family Preparedness Plan (English-Spanish)
- Catholic Migration Services of Brooklyn/Queens (website)
- “Welcoming the Stranger”: Statements by Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio