As of August 15, 2022, thanks to 322 donors, we exceeded our parish ACA goal of raising $114,568. Your giving supports many programs doing good works for the entire Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens.
Please continue to make any outstanding pledge payments because from here on out, all amounts collected over goal return to our parish for parish-specific projects. All pledges must be fulfilled by December 31, 2022. (CLICK HERE to make a new or one-time gift to the 2022 Annual Catholic Appeal.)
God bless you for your generosity!
Original Appeal Letter
We are encouraging one another to make a sacrifice for the Annual Catholic Appeal (annualcatholicappeal.org), an $8 million initiative conducted throughout the diocese to support the pastoral, charitable, and educational ministries of the Catholic Church in Brooklyn and Queens. The work and services made possible through your donations to the Annual Catholic Appeal help people in Brooklyn and Queens in ways that no one parish can do alone.
Our parish goal for 2022 is to raise $114,568 toward the diocese’s ACA total. Once we reach our parish target goal for the year, we will receive all the funds raised over our goal, to fund initiatives right here at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs.
All pledges to the 2022 Appeal are payable through December 31 of this year. If you received a pledge envelope that was mailed to your home, please use it. You may also use the link (below) to make an online donation.
Let us pray that the 2022 Annual Catholic Appeal will be successful in both allowing us to reach out in love to those in need, as well as allowing our hearts to respond to Jesus in Faith, Hope, and Charity.
God bless you and your loved ones for your goodness.
— BISHOP PAUL R. SANCHEZ
- Give online at www.AnnualCatholicAppeal.org.
- Choose the amount, interval, and start date.
- Please be sure to select Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (#4172) from the Parish drop-down menu.
- Make or fulfill your pledge by December 31, 2022.
In the video window below, click the three-bar icon in the upper right corner to select a video to watch about each of the specific programs supported by the ACA.
ACA 2021 Annual Report/Diocese-wide Results (OLQM Parish finished 2021 in the top 10 by amount contributed!)
What programs, exactly, does the ACA support?
How is ACA different from Generations of Faith?
How is the ACA different from regular parish giving?
Are matching gifts possible?
Donations to the ACA have a direct impact on dozens of programs that are beyond the abilities of any one parish and that benefit the faithful throughout Brooklyn and Queens. Funds are used especially for the following:
- Seminarians preparing to be ordained for the Diocese of Brooklyn receive support from the Annual Catholic Appeal. A gift of $1,920 can provide room and board for one month for a seminarian.
- Faith Formation initiatives include RCIA, Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) programs, diaconal formation, as well as lay ministry formation. The Annual Catholic Appeal funds training for those who teach religious education, give sacramental instruction, and organize parish ministries.
- Catholic Charities of Brooklyn and Queens (CCBQ). The Annual Catholic Appeal provides critical support to CCBQ, allowing them to work for the people they serve with the love of Christ. CCBQ provides nearly 100,000 people in the Diocese each year with child care, elder care, and community services. It provides much-needed food packages and services at the 20 Catholic Charities parish-based food pantries and an additional 27 affiliate pantries located throughout both boroughs.
- Catholic Youth Initiative. The Annual Catholic Appeal provides funding for parishes to hire youth ministers and to serve the formation and spiritual needs of those young people who want a deep encounter with Jesus Christ.
- Catholic Migration Services (CMS) “welcomes the stranger in our midst.” Masses are regularly held in 33 different languages across our Diocese of multicultural populations, and the mission of CMS is to provide pastoral, educational, advocacy, and legal services to advance equality and social justice in this changing and diverse population.
- Futures in Education Scholarship Assistance is available, ranging from $500 to $2,700 per student/year, for 70 Catholic elementary schools and academies that educate 19,174 students in Brooklyn and Queens.
- Chaplaincies within the Diocese bring the sacraments of the church to those who are ill. They serve high schools, colleges, prisons, and 22 hospitals.
- Retired Priests living at the Bishop Mugavero Residence receive assistance principally thanks to ACA funds.
- Parish Assistance is made available to 177 parishes (including our own) in over 200 churches, so we can remain healthy.
Note: The number of schools/academies and parishes comes from the Diocese of Brooklyn/About Us.
- The Annual Catholic Appeal is a pledged campaign that raises money that is payable monthly from March through December 31. It is a diocesan campaign that raises $8 million annually for the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens as a whole to help tens of thousands of people in our city. Online giving to the Annual Catholic Appeal is managed by the Catholic Foundation for Brooklyn Queens through the Give Central payment processing platform.
- Appeal fundraising is entirely independent of giving to the parish, even though every parish in the Diocese is assigned a financial goal toward the Appeal total.
- Parish giving is your weekly Sunday offering that provides our parish with ordinary income supporting the work of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church. To give to the parish directly, you can use the envelopes we provide or you can give electronically using the Parish Giving online payment option on this website.
- Many corporations match the charitable contributions of their employees. Talk to your company’s Human Resources professional to determine if your company participates in a Matching Gift Program that would give either directly to the Catholic Foundation for Brooklyn and Queens or its educational institution: Cathedral Prep School and Seminary, a four-year academic high school that is fully accredited by the Middle States Association.
- Or contact the Diocese’s Annual Catholic Appeal Office for information about other Matching Gift opportunities. The phone number is 718-965-7300, ext. 1609, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.