We are encouraging one another to make a sacrifice for the 2021 Annual Catholic Appeal (annualcatholicappeal.org), an $8 million initiative conducted throughout the diocese to support the pastoral, charitable, and educational ministries of the Catholic Church in Brooklyn and Queens. The work and services made possible through your donations to the Annual Catholic Appeal help people in Brooklyn and Queens in ways that no one parish can do alone.
Let us pray that the 2021 Appeal will be successful in both allowing us to reach out in love to those in need and uniting us together in Christ as one Church. We hope you will join us in proclaiming the gospel of God by participating in the 2021 Annual Catholic Appeal.
Please consider making a pledge to the 2021 Appeal, payable through December 31 of this year. If you received an envelope that was mailed to your home, please use it. We also have Annual Catholic Appeal envelopes in the church that you can take. You may also use the link (below) to make an online donation through the Catholic Foundation’s Give Central or by texting ACA to 917-336-1255.
God bless you and your loved ones for your goodness.
— BISHOP PAUL R. SANCHEZ
- Give to the Annual Catholic Appeal 2021 online via GiveCentral.org.
- Choose the amount, interval, and start date.
- Please be sure to select Our Lady Queen of Martyrs (#4172) from the Parish drop-down menu.
- Make or fulfill your pledge by December 31.
Remember, once we reach our parish’s target goal, we will receive all the funds raised over our goal, to fund initiatives right here in our parish.
Use this slideshow to access a short video clip about each of the programs and services that your Annual Catholic Appeal donations support. Each video explains the impact of the Annual Catholic Appeal in 40 seconds or less!
Read the Annual Catholic Appeal (ACA) Year-End 2020 Report
What programs, exactly, does the ACA support?
How is ACA different from Generations of Faith?
How is the ACA different from regular parish giving?
Are matching gifts possible?
Donations to the ACA support dozens of programs that are beyond the abilities of any one parish and that benefit the faithful throughout Brooklyn and Queens. Funds are used especially for the following programs:
- Vocations Support for seminarians to be ordained for the Diocese of Brooklyn in the spring. A gift of $1,920 can provide room and board for one month for a seminarian.
- Office of Faith Formation supports RCIA, Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) programs, diaconal formation, as well as lay ministry formation.
- Catholic Charities of Brooklyn and Queens (CCBQ) provides nearly 100,000 people in the Diocese each year with child care, elder care, and community services. CCBQ distributed over $400 million in food assistance in 2020. Since the pandemic began, CCBQ reported a 1,000% increase in food requests and provides much-needed food packages and services at the 20 Catholic Charities parish-based food pantries and an additional 27 affiliate pantries located throughout both boroughs.
- Catholic Migration Services (CMS) “welcomes the stranger in our midst.” Masses are regularly held in 33 different languages across our Diocese of multicultural populations, and the mission of CMS is to provide pastoral, educational, advocacy, and legal services to advance equality and social justice in this changing and diverse population.
- Retired Priests living at the Bishop Mugavero Residence receive assistance principally thanks to ACA funds.
- Futures in Education Scholarship Assistance is available, ranging from $500 to $2,700 per student/year, for 69 Catholic elementary schools and academies in Brooklyn and Queens.
- Chaplaincies within the Diocese serve high schools, colleges, prisons, and 22 hospitals.
- Parish Assistance is made available to 186 parishes (including our own) with 210 churches, so we can remain healthy.
Note: The number of schools/academies and parishes comes from the Diocese of Brooklyn/About Us.
- The Annual Catholic Appeal is a pledged campaign that raises money that is payable on a monthly schedule from March through December 31. It is a diocesan campaign that raises $8 million annually for the Diocese of Brooklyn/Queens as a whole to help tens of thousands of people in our city. Online giving to the Annual Catholic Appeal is managed by the Catholic Foundation of Brooklyn Queens through the Give Central payment processing platform (catholicfoundationbq.org/annual-catholic-appeal).
- Appeal fundraising is entirely independent of giving to the parish, even though every parish in the Diocese is assigned a financial goal toward the Appeal total.
- Parish giving is your weekly Sunday offering that provides our parish with ordinary income supporting the work of Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Church. To give to the parish directly, you can use the envelopes we provide or you can give electronically using the Parish Giving online payment option on this website.
- Many corporations match the charitable contributions of their employees. Talk to your company’s Human Resources professional to determine if your company participates in a Matching Gift Program that would give either directly to the Catholic Foundation for Brooklyn and Queens or its educational institution: Cathedral Prep School and Seminary, a four-year academic high school that is fully accredited by the Middle States Association.
- Or contact the Diocese’s Annual Catholic Appeal Office for information about other Matching Gift opportunities. The phone number is 718-965-7300, ext. 1609, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.